Thursday, August 26, 2010

Putting off the dull stuff

So I'm supposed to be taping hull sides to frames this week. Not a chore that is too exciting, a bit repetitive, involves bending over, etc. And I've had this snazzy foam blank from Flying Foam sitting on an out of the way shelf for a while, waiting to be made into a rudder. I got a few more frames taped, but the rudder has been winning more of my attention, go figure.


The rudder core is hot-wired foam. Since wires don't bend, to get a bent shape takes multiple pieces. I ordered a straight, parallel piece for the top half, and a piece cut to a 50% taper and a little sweep for the bottom. The core and the offcuts ("saddles") have been glued end to end with Gorilla glue, and the offcuts have been glued to some plywood backing. The core is glued to some pieces on each end... well, I'm basically following Bram's method for his Swift solo, you can look it up instead of me re-writing it here!

The foam foil came with some additional offcuts of foam to take up room in the box, turns out just enough to make into a tiller:
4 of the five pieces gluing, the last one is fatter to go around the rudder head, so gets glued last. I drew out and figured the angles to make the shape I wanted, cut them, and just clamped them over my wet-out table's plastic, with more Gorilla glue.




This is the general idea, before a bunch of whittling and then carbon wrapping.

I'll try to get more frames taped, but this work is so much more fun. It's all progress, right?


Edit:
Couldn't resist- I had everything ready, it was a cool-ish morning, so I went for the rudder lay up.
It went alright. I used heavy cream thickened epoxy to paint the foam, laid a tape of uni on each side, then a layer of 6oz coth, a 3/4 length layer of 8oz uni, a full length layer of 8oz uni, then a final layer of 6oz cloth. If i had to do it again, I'd wet-out the layers on a wet-out table and transfer them to the rudder. Wetting out cloth on the vertical feels so 70's, or something. Flicks of resin all over, the foam swaying all around as I pressed against it, it just didn't feel like a controlled process. But it worked, I'm pretty sure- I'll know more in the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment