Thursday, September 13, 2012

Upright again

Having had enough of sanding and painting the bottom, it's time to get started on the other side. So I rolled the boat outside, reattached the rollover cradle and now she sits upright on the trailer bunks. Some not-so-great camera phone pics...




So the current plan is to do a paint scheme about like this:
...which is why the boat is all white now. After the deck gets its coat of white paint, I'll do the green stuff over the top.


I didn't have as much time when I did this before, so I put the mast up again and spent a couple days getting all the standing rigging right. I have a couple little issues (!) to sort, but I'm 90% closer to happy with the rig now. I think I'm happy with the mast bend, and sent off those numbers to the sailmaker. My sails are paid for now, just a matter of getting them built, and having a boat to put under them when they're done!


Blew out a flip flop!
In testing the rig rotation, I let it over-rotate and the hinge pin did the damage shown above. I deliberately made this laminate a lot thinner than the corresponding part on the mast, to keep the failure(s) where they do least overall harm. I've since fit the mast rotator arm (from Ben's old catamaran scrap bin so thanks, Ben!) so it can't over-rotate again, and fixed the spreader. I may need a universal joint here instead though, to allow the spreader to better cope with the variable up-down angle as the mast hinge rotates. More fun to come in the composites shop...


Forestay adjuster works great, now that I have the lines sorted. I really like the hardware free, clean look.

The boat is back inside now. I need to drill-fill-drill for a few more bits of hardware, do a couple light rounds of putty-sand-putty-sand, and then spray some paint. Getting closer!

No comments:

Post a Comment