Monday, May 16, 2011

Cabin meets boat

I scribed the still-large cabin to fit the deck, cut about an eighth inch from the line with the handy four inch grinder/cutoff blade, then block sanded to the line. This is the dry fit still, since I still have to laminate the inside.

I think it looks alright, but it's hard to get a distant view in my small build shed.

And back off the boat, with more work to be done. I added a decent sized microlight thickened fillet along the side/top joint. The fillet isn't really "structural" in this case- it just acts as a smooth form for the reinforcement that gets placed later. The two oval red patches are solid blockouts for a pair of through deck blocks for the jib sheet height adjustment line, and the big U-shape is where I routed out the core and backfilled it with  thickened epoxy to give a solid edge to the companionway opening.
The doubled area of G10 is where the compression post will bear, and the additional area behind that, in front of the hatch will have a bunch of holes and fairleads cut through, so I can lead lines below deck.

The house is sold, escrow opened today, so the clock is ticking on getting the boat buttoned up enough to make the cross country trailer ride! I'm guessing my hull will soon have the most odometer miles of any i550 out there...

No comments:

Post a Comment