Thursday, May 5, 2011

More cabin foam, mast step

Mast step insert, ready to glue in. I'm using 1/4" G10, with an extra layer where the compression post will bear on it. In the foam I routed a rabbet all around so that the thick fiber patch wouldn't make a mound in the foam surface.


Ready to glue and laminate.


Low tech fiber consolidation...

And to back up a little, I've trimmed the top foam and added the side foam, but the side foam is still oversized. I'll shape a radius into the top edge, add the glass, then put the whole cabin on the boat and scribe the bottom edge to fit. It turns out the height I arbitrarily chose for the mast step is to be regulated by an arbitrary new rule (the rules have been a moving target for this entire build...), so I took a couple measurements and it looks like I'm a little short. I'll have to remedy this by scribing off less material when I fit it to the boat, or adding shims to jack the cabin up.

No comments:

Post a Comment