Friday, March 30, 2012

Boom, part 2

My random orbit sander pad comprehensively expired about a third of the way into sanding of the upside down hull's epoxy sealer coat, and it's just too painfully tedious to do with a buzzbox, so until the replacement pad comes on Monday I'm back to working on the boom.


Start off with a refresh, here's the 1st side I did a while ago:


... and taking full (excess?) advantage of this time lapse app I got for my phone, here's the two layups for the second half:



 ...and the weight of the 2nd half. It looks like the thicker laminate I used to make up for the botched thinner stuff added an extra 2 oz. (See video, I stupidly poured warm but still liquid epoxy on a strip of uni, hoping it would cool and stop its rapid curing. Had to finish the lamination with some 9oz. uni instead of the 4oz. stuff I'd been using).
I think I can live with it.



I ran the two halves through the saw to trim the flanges to width, and matched them with some tape to see how it looks. Me likey, so far.



Weight of the two sides. I still need to do top and bottom laminations, plus the gooseneck receiver and the outhaul reinforcement, and I need to cut a couple inches off each end. To match C-Tech, I need to do all that in less than about 2.4 pounds.



Outhaul sheave axle reinforcement. I routed out the laminate and foam on the insides to receive some little G10 discs, then I'll add the biax and cloth patches over the top. This is curing now, and time permitting I'll go back this afternoon and rip off the peel ply and tack weld the two boom halves together so the top and bottom will be ready to laminate tomorrow. The gooseneck stuff I'll do after the rest of the boom is done.

I suppose I could have just bought ye olde Harken through deck block and be done with it, but where's the sport in that? Besides, I had Kevin's outhaul creation to goad me on.

No comments:

Post a Comment