Friday, July 13, 2012

The longboard doesn't lie...

...but man, you wish the darn thing would give the bad news more gently!

I did the first round of wet sanding today, with a 36' longboard loaded with 120 grit paper, just doing the hull bottom and chines. As you can see, I found lots of little (most are very little) low spots. I will say that compared to other option, I love wet sanding! No dust mask, no dust, and very little mess. One downside I found though was hydroplaning knees- while up on the boat sanding away I put my knee on a wet spot with lots of slurry mixed in, and my knee slipped off the edge and I did a bellyflop on the boat. Good times!


To back up a little, and explain that big black hole in the middle...
A few days ago I took a splash of the keel slot area- just laid up some carbon scraps over the hull where the slot will be. That done, I routed out the slot and a recess all around it, and ground a taper into the hull laminate all around that. This is to receive some the trunk reinforcement that is in place in the top pic above, shown after sanding it flush and slopping some filler over it.

This is the splash, getting tabbed to a mini keel sleeve. Once trimmed, it'll be a fairing plate to cover the big rectangular hole in the bottom of the boat. It will be able to slide on the hull bottom as the keel jibes, too.

2 comments:

  1. I want to get a longbaord, but I do not know what kind to get. I'm 5'7 and 115 lbs. I don't really want to do a lot of tricks and the city I live in is really hilly and full of slopes Is there a certain kind of longboard I should definitely look for???

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a different kind of longboard being discussed here- a long sanding board to fair curving surfaces. No wheels, trucks, grip tape, tricks, or hills are involved!

    ReplyDelete