Friday, May 11, 2012

Not un busy

Laminated the hull today. Used the excuse to break out the time lapse app and make a movie of it....


I did full length uni first- 6 oz on the sides as one continuous piece that wraps the bow, and 10.5 oz on the bottom. I cut it to fit between the tapes to reduce the need for filler later. The side pieces are a little tall to start so I could tape them in place, then trim the tape overlap once each segment was wet out. The second layer is 9 oz cloth, with an extra layer placed across the middle of the boat to better stiffen the chainplate and mast step zone.

Had to break toward the end to go pick up my daughter from school (oops, bad planning!), but the slow-kicking epoxy was still very green and I was easily able to add the last piece of cloth and the peel ply. This took two full gallons (total, resin and hardener) of US Composites' slow thin epoxy, and I think I like it. It does take a couple days of warm temps to fully cure, though. After tonight, I'll get a heater going in the boat over the weekend.


The jibing keel was a topic of discussion on the i550class.org forum, and here's the control parts so far.


The tiller. The nut and washer are just sitting there- there's no bolt installed yet.



Bottom view, with the delrin pivot guides, and the sliding retainer-restrainer still unfinished.


No comments:

Post a Comment